Want to be a Contributor?

WANT TO BE A CONTRIBUTOR TO GOURMET DIY SHANGHAI?
Send an email to Heather at gourmetdiyshanghai@gmail.com and I will send you an invite to be a coauthor.

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Pumpkin Praline Dessert

My darling sisters introduced me to this recipe. A friend of theirs made it for them and they thought it was divine and passed the recipe around.
It kind of tastes like a combination between pumpkin pie and a cobbler. It might be a little food-trashy of me to love this (cause it uses a boxed cake mix) but I absolutely do!
It is the perfect recipe for someone who wants the taste of pumpkin pie, but doesn't want to go to all the trouble or fuss of making and rolling out pie crust.

Ingredients:

1can (15 oz) pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)  - I used half of a large can
1can (12 oz) evaporated milk
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice  - I used 2 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp ginger, 1/2 tsp ground cloves, 1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 box yellow cake mix
1 cup chopped pecans  (optional)
3/4 cup butter or margarine, melted

 Add pumpkin to a large mixing bowl.
 Add one can of condensed milk.(make sure you don't get sweetened condensed milk-two totally different things)
Whisk to combine.
 Add eggs and whisk again.
 Add sugar. (I think I also threw in a pinch of salt here-if a dessert recipe doesn't call for salt I generally still throw in just a pinch because it will always enhance every flavor just a bit)
 Add the pumpkin pie spice (or if you are like me and don't have pumpkin pie spice here in China, you can do what I did and add the cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves separately)

 Place pumpkin mixture in one 9x13 pan. Sprinkle dry cake mix evenly over the entire thing. Scatter nuts over the cake mix. Drizzle 3/4 cup butter over the cake mix.


My alteration (I decided to make one nut-free for the kids, so I divided the batter into two square pans, then divided the cake mix in half (just eyeballed it- didn't measure exactly) and the butter in half and followed the recipe above.
 Bake at 175 C for 50- 60 minutes until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean and the top begins to brown,


* don't worry if there is a little cake mix here or there that doesn't get covered by butter- still tastes great when you top it with whipped cream.

Serve with whipped cream. It is so super sweet that you may or may not want to add sugar to your whipped cream when you whip it.

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Suggestions? Alterations?