Want to be a Contributor?

WANT TO BE A CONTRIBUTOR TO GOURMET DIY SHANGHAI?
Send an email to Heather at gourmetdiyshanghai@gmail.com and I will send you an invite to be a coauthor.

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Juicy Chicken Burgers with Honey Mustard Sauce

I got the idea for this recipe from one of my favorite cooking magazines back in the States. I think I made the actual recipe in the magazine a few times and it was awesome. Then I moved here to China with my family in 6 suitcases and I had to try and remember a lot of my favorite recipes since I didn’t have them on hand. This is the recipe I came up with based on local ingredients.

These really are the most delicious burgers. The shredded apples and onions not only add amazing flavor to the burger, but they help the burger keeps moist. Where burgers can sometimes be dry, this recipe is guaranteed to not be so.

Suggestions: My kids prefer ketchup on their burgers but I think that honey mustard sauce perfectly compliments this burger. I only use granny smith apples for this recipe because I love the tart flavor of granny smith apples and they are crispier and hold up better during cooking.
If you’re on a low carb diet, skip the roll or bun- this is a patty you can eat plain. I’ve included a tbsp of flour but you could easily make these gluten-free by using a ½ tbsp of cornstarch instead. And this is another recipe that is delightfully simple!

Ingredients:

Ground Chicken Breast-two packages or roughly 1 kg(I get them at City Shop; not sure if any other stores have ground chicken breast)
1 small apple, shredded
¼ red onion, diced
1½ tsp salt
1 tbsp chicken bouillon powder
Fresh ground pepper
1 tbsp flour
2 eggs


Place ground chicken in a bowl.
Peel apple.
On the larger side, grate apple all the way around until you are down to the core. Discard core.
Add grated apple and diced onion and mix until combined.

Add salt, powdered chicken bouillon and mix.
Add pepper.
Add eggs.
Add flour. Mix until combined.

Using a measuring cup drop 1/4 cup (50gms) of  chicken mixture onto hot greased frying pan. Use the back of a spatula to flatten out into a round patty shape.


Cook 4-5 minutes then flip. Then cook on the other side for 3-4 minutes.

Honey Mustard Sauce 

1/4 cup honey
2 tbsp mustard


Mix honey and mustard together.



Serve burgers with honey mustard sauce, ketchup, tomatoes, lettuce or onions.
Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Suggestions? Alterations?