Want to be a Contributor?

WANT TO BE A CONTRIBUTOR TO GOURMET DIY SHANGHAI?
Send an email to Heather at gourmetdiyshanghai@gmail.com and I will send you an invite to be a coauthor.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Tomato Cream Sauce

My sister graduated with a bachelor's degree in culinary arts and this is one of the awesome recipes she obtained while in her program. Everyone I know loves it and it is so easy and simple to make. Even some of my friends who hate tomatoes, love this recipe. (Metro is the cheapest place I've found for cream) I love this recipe because it is really quick, but looks gourmet. Make sure you serve it with some kind of bread because you will need something to soak up the extra sauce with- you won't want it to go to waste! My husband has joked that he would lick the extra sauce off the plate if he didn't have bread to eat with it. 

Ingredients
1 tbsp butter
1 ½ cup diced tomatoes
1 ½ tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp dried basil
1 ½ tsp dried oregano
2 cups heavy cream
1 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp water
Salt to Taste (1- 1 ½ tsp)

Melt butter.

Sauté the tomatoes and garlic in butter for about 5 minutes until soft.(I absolutely adore this garlic press from IKEA. Everyone should have one. You have know idea how well it works and how much time it saves me.)


Add basil and oregano.
Deglaze pan with cream.
Puree in blender and then return to pot and simmer until thickened.
Add salt.
The cream in China is UHT cream and it is thinner than fresh cream So to get the sauce thicker, I will take it off the heat, add a little cornstarch mixed with water(1 tbsp cornstarch mixed with 2 tbsp water) and then put it back on the heat and let it thicken for a few minutes.

Serve over pasta noodles. (Tip: Drain pasta but never rinse the noodles. Rinsing noodles washes off the starch. Sauce will stick to the pasta better if you do not rinse the starch off of them)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Suggestions? Alterations?