Want to be a Contributor?

WANT TO BE A CONTRIBUTOR TO GOURMET DIY SHANGHAI?
Send an email to Heather at gourmetdiyshanghai@gmail.com and I will send you an invite to be a coauthor.

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Cilantro Spicy Rice

Mexican food is one of the easiest things to make from scratch in China. They have an abundance of tomatoes, peppers, cilantro, onions. In the US, in the west where I'm from, we have a restaurant chain called Cafe Rio. This is my take on the cilantro rice they serve there- My sisters and I think it's even better than the rice at Cafe Rio.
This rice is only mildly spicy. I do not really like spicy stuff and I absolutely love this rice. Both my kids will eat it plain so that tells you it's pretty mild.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups rice
½ hot green pepper, diced
½ red onion, diced
½ cup cilantro
3 cloves garlic
2-3 tablespoons water
salt or chicken bouillon

Directions:
Cook 1 ½ cups dry rice in a rice cooker or on the stove. You can add a little chicken bouillon to the water if you want.
In a small saucepan, sauté the diced hot pepper in a little water until tender. Do not drain.
Add to the rest of the ingredients, and pulse in a blender until everything is chopped and well blended. (You might have to add just a bit more water to get everything to blend well)

Add to cooked rice and stir until well combined. Add salt to taste.

*Note: Thai rice works best with this recipe. This makes a great side dish or filling for soft flour tacos.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Suggestions? Alterations?